Ben Geselbracht, Nanaimo City Councillor
I grew up in Nanaimo and I’m grateful to call this community my home. After attending NDSS and graduating from Dover Bay Secondary, I went on to earn a B.Sc. in Biology and an M.A. in counselling.
I worked as a clinical counsellor at the Brannen Lake Correctional Institute. During my time there I helped develop a horticulture skills training program. Inspired by that work, I am now the owner-operator of Yeomen Tree Service. My business provides job opportunities to youth who face barriers entering the workforce.
In 2013 I founded the Mid-Island Community Development Co-op with my partner Larissa and my brother Michael. Our growing team facilitates community projects that enhance the health and well-being of local neighbourhoods.
Volunteering is a big part of my life. I have given many hours of my time in service to our community. I have served on several non-profit boards, including the Nanaimo Recycling Exchange and the South End Community Association.
As an RDN committee member I had a role in the development of our region’s new solid waste management plan. I’m proud to have been a part of that process, and of the ambitious new goals that were set to increase recycling and improve the health of our environment.
My experience has taught me the importance of working cooperatively to realize shared goals. These are the values and skills I will bring to the table as your city councillor. Working together as a community, with a positive vision for the future, we can create a Nanaimo full of opportunity for everyone.
City of Nanaimo Internal Committees
- Environment Committee (Co-Chair)
- Finance and Audit Committee
- Governance and Priorities Committee
Regional District of Nanaimo Internal Committees
- Solid Waste Select Committee (Chair)
- Solid Waste Management Plan Advisory Committee (Chair)
- Drinking Water and Watershed Protection Plan Board Steering Committee
- Parks and Open Spaces Committee
Regional District Appointments to External Boards
- Island Corridor Foundation
- Vancouver Island and Coastal Communities Climate Leadership Strategy Steering Committee
- Union of British Columbia Municipalities Executive Board (Member at Large)